Mental strength is not a fixed quality. With practice and determination, you can train your mind to hold up under pressure.
- Delay gratification. A famous study showed that children who could resist eating one treat now in order to receive two treats later performed better in school and enjoyed more success in later life. Good things are worth waiting for.
- Accept discomfort. Giving in to frustration intensifies unpleasant feelings. Let go of your resistance and experience the relief that comes with facing reality.
- Focus on your priorities. Your mental powers are formidable, but it’s still important to channel them efficiently. Devote your time and energy to activities that are meaningful and fulling for you.
- Find inner motivation. It’s easier to work hard when you’re doing it for reasons that you find compelling instead of trying to please others. Maybe you want to quit smoking in order to save money or have more years to spend with your grandchildren.
- Build your confidence. High self-esteem and mental strength naturally go together. Pursue goals that are realistic and ambitious. Surround yourself with family and friends who encourage you.
- Condition your body. Physical fitness strengthens your mind as well as your muscles. Exercise on a regular basis and incorporate more activity into your daily routine. Eat nourishing whole foods and go to bed on a consistent schedule.
- Think positive. Banish stress by looking on the bright side and using your self-talk to affirm your worth. Remember that you are in charge of your destiny, and you deserve joy and love.
- Hang in there. Developing your mental strength is a lifelong project. Expect some ups and downs. As long as you persevere, you will see results. Overcoming obstacles can be even more satisfying than scoring easy victories.
You can’t remove the challenges from life, but you can respond to them in a way that makes you smarter and tougher. Build up your mental strength now so you’ll be ready to thrive under any conditions. Believe in yourself and use setbacks as stepping stones to greater happiness and success.